Tuesday, April 08, 2008

ADDENDUM...


And if things aren't changing fast enough in Chinatown, look what just happened to the Carriedo Fountain at the end of Ongpin Street. From that (above) to that (below).

Holy Hideous Hell, Batman.

Well, I don't know. Some may bit** that the fountain now looks like a painted whore and I might agree. But then again, considering the way that other heritage structures are going nowadays, I'm just glad that they didn't demolish it. At least paint can be removed. A demolition would have been irreversible.

But more than anything else, considering that Mayor Lim has touted himself to be the heritage friendly mayor and that he has some of the finest conservationists and historians aboard his bandwagon, how the hell did this travesty happen under their watch? Ahem. Paging Heritage Conservation Society et al...What the hell?

Thanks pakshet 101 and Eazytraveler for the photos.

16 comments:

gracing said...

that is fugly.
did it even need a paint job? maybe someone can grafitti it at night, change it back to a decent colour.

newsjunkie said...

Funny thing is that it reminds me of this historian who mentioned that ancient Roman/Greek statues were not just finished in marble: they were frequently garishly painted! Now, since all the paint is gone and tastes have gone to marble elegance, we don't bother "restore" the statues to what they looked like historically. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

christine said...

ACK!! Why?

The Nashman said...

who needs drugs when you can get sabog just by staring at it....

maybe it's part of lim's anti-drugs campaign...

Anonymous said...

Hi Carlos,

it looks like a candy cane now. A bit awful if ou ask me.
Tom

Anonymous said...

It's called spend & earn......
Then, it's called change whatever your predecessor did......

Alexis said...

Like i posted in Ed's site,

ugh...if people here are so fond of copying foreign countries why can't they copy their way of restoration as well? You would never see Pisa or David or La Pieta or any of the thousands of monuments around Europe "restored" like this. The people would shoot would-be-"restorers" on sight! :D

Katrina said...

Vomit-inducing!!!

Anonymous said...

C'mon guys. Let's not jump to conclusion. From a reliable source, this paint is just a primer.

Or maybe the Gucci Gang turned into the Graffiti Gang to avert public scrutiny.

Senor Enrique said...

As I've said in my blog post today, the new colors remind me of the trendy colors used in repainting the tombs and edifices -- such as the Mausoleum of the Veterans of the Philippine Revolution -- at Manila's North Cemetery.

Preston D. said...

punyeta ang pangeeet!! is that bayani fernando's idea?

Sidney said...

Hahahaha.... A painted whore... I like your sense of humor,Carlos!

Traveler on Foot said...

When I first saw the newly painted Carriedo Fountain (I think that was a few days after Holy Week), I immediately took photos of it for my blog.

Days passed and I couldn't compose a good write up to support the photos. oh well... I guess its because I'm not proud with how it looks today.

JeannieTheDreamer said...

let me guess: feungsheui

niz said...

Goodie, and here we were just about to give up on Urban Zone... hehehe. Thanks for the head's up.

Anonymous said...

This is a new art called "MMDA Art" lolz